Gianluigi Buffon once joked that he could play until he was 65; When he turns 43, we celebrate his achievements so far.
What you may not know
• Sport is in Buffon's blood: Maria Stella held the Italian disc record for 17 years; father Adriano was the national junior shot put champion; Sisters Guendalina and Veronica played volleyball, Guendalina won the European Cup with Matera. Former Milan and Italy goalkeeper Lorenzo Buffon was the cousin of Gianluigi's grandfather.
• Buffon overcame a terrible hornet fear. "Just before the game, the goalkeeping coach told me that Buffon couldn't play – he couldn't kick himself because there were too many wasps," said Fabio Capello. "Okay, no problem," I said, and asked for backups to be prepared. Ten seconds later, Buffon said his phobia was over because he really wanted to play. "
• Buffon supports Borussia Mönchengladbach in Germany': "When I was a kid I didn't know how to pronounce their names. Now I can do better, but I still don't think it's right." When Juventus faced the Bundesliga team in the UEFA Champions League in 2015 / 16', Buffon gave his fans a pair of gloves, but received nothing in return. Gladbach later told him 'A German team' He sent a scarf bearing his legend – jokingly, because most foreigners like Buffon found Mönchengladbach a bit of a mouthful.
• Buffon started as a midfielder, became a goalkeeper as his hero was former Cameroon and Espanyol guard Thomas N'Kono. He named his first son Louis Thomas; runner-up, David Lee, named it in honor of Van Halen singer David Lee Roth'.
• Buffon's two sons with ex-wife, Czech model Alena Šeredová, as well as a third, Leopoldo Mattia, with his new partner, TV presenter Ilaria D'Amico. D'Amico and Juve coach Massimiliano Allegri mocked Buffon''s Tom Selleck-style mustache in a TV interview.
• Buffon was president of Carrarese''s hometown club, Carrarese', until 2015. The acronym CUIT on their gloves stands for Commando Ultrà Indian Trips, a tight-knit group of Carrarese fans.
International: 176 matches
UEFA club competition: 167 appearances
Domestic competition: 756 matches
Claims to fame
• He made his debut at the age of 17 on November 19, 1995 in the 0-0 home draw with AC Milan, keeping a clean slate, including notable saves like Roberto Baggio and George Weah.
• Buffon, who earned his nickname by saving a penalty from Ronaldo from Internazionale Milano in 1997 and by showing a Superman T-shirt to the fans, won the 1999 UEFA Cup, the first European cup, as Parma beat Marseille 3-0 in the final. Coppa Italia removed #39 in the same season.
• In the summer of 2001, he became the most expensive goalkeeper in the world, Juventus signed him for over €50 million '. He took Scudetto in his first term in Turin.
• Helped Juventus reach the UEFA Champions League final in 2002 / 03' team drew 0-0 with Milan/#39 in Manchester, but lost on penalties , but Buffon cleared two-pointers and got an incredible response from Filippo Inzaghi'
• The Old Lady was relegated to Serie B' as part of a match-fixing scandal and was stripped of the 2004/05 and 2005/06 titles, but Buffon stayed at the club helping them get promoted immediately. In November 2006, Juventus placed a full-page ad in Italy's three main sports newspapers to thank their goalkeeper.
• In 2011, former Juve player Antonio Conte took over as coach and led Bianconeri to three Serie A-record games, the first without losing a game and the third with 102 points.
• Buffon won four more championships under Allegri and in 2015 UEFA Champions League reached the final, his team Despite a great halftime stop from Dani Alves' Lost to Barcelona #39 3-1 in Berlin#39 .
• In March 2016, at the age of 38, he set a 22-year record by going 974 minutes in Serie A without making any concessions.
• Juventus' to Real Madrid' in 2017' Since his defeat, Buffon has shared former teammate Paolo Montero's record for most European Cup finals without winning the competition: three.
• Won the title in his final season to become the first player to win nine Scudettos. His first spell at the club ended with him in 640 Serie A matches, seven shy of Paolo Maldini''s record of 647'.
• He turned 17 when Juve moved to Paris on a one-year deal with #39. He won the Ligue 1 title in his only season in France.
• Used interchangeably with Alphonse Areola, but became #1 for the UEFA Champions League after using the ban. He became the third goalkeeper to not concede 50 goals in the competition.
• He returned to Torino, was denied the No1 jersey and captaincy, and instead chose No77/#39, the number he wore in his last season in Parma.
• Set new records for club appearances with an Italian (beating Paolo Maldini''s 902') and Juventus (Alessandro Del Piero, 478) in most leagues. It also surpassed Maldini's record of 647 Serie A'.
• He kept the 52nd UEFA Champions League games clean in Barcelona in December 2020', and is currently only behind Iker Casillas' (57).
• Buffon's 167 UEFA club competition matches ended with W87 D42 L38; He kept 68 clean sheets.
• On October 29, 1997, at the age of 19, Buffon made his Azzurri debut with Gianluca Pagliuca in the first leg of the 1998 FIFA World Cup qualifying play-off, with injured Gianluca Pagliuca against Russia in snowy Moscow,#39; Shortly after, he made an incredible save from Dmitri Alenichev'.
• Italy conceded an own goal and a penalty only twice, while capturing the 2006 World Cup in Germany#39. Among his heroes, Lukas Podolski in the semi-finals and then in the final Zinedine Stopped from Zidane'.
• There was another big tournament in UEFA EURO 2012, #39; Italy lost to the finals and lost 4-0 to Spain in #39 in Kiev. Buffon and Italy , before penalizing Germany in the quarters He was going to kill rival Spain' in UEFA EURO 2016 round of 16 .
• During the 2014 campaign in Brazil, Buffon became the third player to appear in five FIFA World Cups, along with Mexican Antonio Carbajal and Germany's Lothar Matthäus.
• After breaking the Italian record of Fabio Cannavaro for the 137th time in 2013, Buffon took the 168th Italy cap, surpassing Iker Casillas to become Europe's most important international player to date.
• 1,000'th competitive game – played a European Qualifier against Albania' in March 2017' – and then In November 2017, he announced his retirement from international football, but later to reverse this decision 175 trips to Italy : Final total 176.
what do they say
"I'm surprised he never won the Ballon d'Or' he definitely deserves it for everything he's done. For me the best goalkeeper in match history. He's a football icon – a true legend."
Leonardo Bonucci, Juventus and Italy teammate
"Gigi Buffon' started her career so young, it helped me a lot. If you see a young goalkeeper with her profile in Parma starting to play for Italy because the coaches believed in her, it gives you faith that you can do the same. I'm 17 or 18 years old too I started very young … We have a nice conversation when we get the chance. It's a friendship built over the years."
Iker Casillas, former Real Madrid, Porto and Spain goalkeeper
"We're talking about #1 in the world. He was the best throughout his career. I've been telling him the same thing for 20 years: when a normal goalkeeper makes a mistake, nobody says anything, but when Buffon makes a mistake, it's news. But you can't argue about Buffon. Buffon is Buffon, #1 . "
Marcello Lippi, former Juventus and Italy coach
What is he saying
"It's funny how they write the obituary and then go and prove them wrong. Now they can go to my funeral, but they won't find anyone there. This is what I live for, to make people eat their words."
"I haven't lost much in my life, but defeats taught me more than victories. When I lose, I focus on my opponents' skills and mistakes I've made. It's okay not to look for excuses.
"The most important thing for a goalkeeper is the sense of certainty that you convey to others. No matter how you really feel, you have to convey that. Even if you are unsure of yourself, you need to believe that others are in control of the situation and they can trust you. A nervous goalkeeper means a nervous team."
“You see how good a No1' is in the game, or his move after making a mistake, when it is filled with regret and indecision. The more mistakes you make, the worse it gets because your confidence is gone. But for me it's the opposite. Being in the middle of the storm excites me. "
[When I returned to Juventus'] "I didn't come back to take or get something from someone … I want to do my part for the team. It's true that starting goalkeeper Szczęsny' has the No1 jersey. And we have a great player like Giorgio Chiellini for the captaincy."