At the table, Rangers' still have work to do in Group D', after their last two matches conceding a two-goal lead against Benfica by surrendering a two-goal lead, but if they win a Standard Liège at home, they will have a spot in the 32nd round. The side that had to wait until Matchday 4 to record the first points of the division.
• Undefeated Rangers and Benfica are on par with eight points, boasting a five-point band between each other and the home winner Standard and Lech Poznań when they faced each other in their last two games. Konstantinos Laifis wins 2-1. While the Scottish and Portuguese sides both qualify for Matchday 5's home win, the same will be true if both avoid defeat.
• Rangers beat Standard 2-0 on Matchday 1 in Liège, thanks to a James Tavernier penalty and a sensational extra-time kick by Kemar Roofe from their own half – first European goal.
• This was the clubs' first UEFA match since 1961 / 62/#39 when Standard' beat Rangers' 4-3 on aggregate (4-1h, 0-2a) in the quarterfinals of the European Cup. Reaching the semi-finals that season remains the Belgian club's best performance ever in Europe's premier club competition.
• Standard''s 4-1 defeat in 1962' is Rangers''s only defeat in seven matches against their Belgian opponent (W4 D1). Glasgow giants won all three home matches 2-1, most recently against Club Brugge in the first group stage of the UEFA Champions League' in 1992/93'.
• Standard remained undefeated to Scottish opposition at home until Matchday 1, losing four of their six matches in Scotland, but the only win was 1-0 in the first leg of 1992' against Hearts' at Edinburgh' on their last visit / 93 UEFA Cup second round draw They won 2-0.
• When the 2019/20 Scottish Premiership ended early, the rangers took second place, 13 points behind Celtic'. They also made a long run in Europe, progressing from the first qualifying round of the UEFA Europa League to round 16, where they were eliminated by Bayer Leverkusen, Scotland's last standing team (1-3 hrs, 0 -1 A).
• Steven Gerrard''s team made it to this season's group stage from three eliminations by beating Lincoln Red Imp (5-0) and Willem II' (4-0) away before their 2-1' play-off success against Galatasaray' in Glasgow. passed. In the first two matches, which was the club's third consecutive group stage participation, they beat Standard (2-0 a) and Lech Poznań' (1-0 h) to win five out of five. The Rangers finished their division in third place two seasons ago but advanced last season in second place behind Porto', with nine-point totals allowing them to finish ahead of Young Boys and Feyenoord'.
• The Rangers remained undefeated in 17 domestic European matches (W12 D5) until they lost 3-1 to Leverkusen' in the first match of the 16th game last season. The 2nd Matchday (1-0) against Lech' is a clean sheet, the only match in the last six UEFA fixtures at Ibrox', with seven of them registered to the previous eight. They were played 2-2 by Benfica on matchday 4'.
• Standard placed fifth in the 2019/20 Belgian Division One A' when the call for a halt was made in March. Last season, they were eliminated in the group stage of the UEFA Europa League', having made three qualifying rounds this season under new coach Philippe Montanier – all at home, Bala Town (2-0), Vojvodina (2-1 aet) and Fehérvár (3-1). – To make it appear for the eighth time in the competition.
• The Liège club have competed in the UEFA Europa League group stage in the previous six campaigns, but only made further progress once they reached the 16th round in the first attempt in 2011 / 12' The opening of the 2009/10 season after switching from the UEFA Champions League in the middle of the campaign. Last season, they finished third in Group F with eight points behind Arsenal and Eintracht Frankfurt in #39.
• Standard won only one of the last 19 away fixtures from the group stage to the final (D5 L13) in the UEFA Europa League with a 3-0-#39 success at Panathinaikos in the 2016/17 group stage. His records since then have included defeats to D3 L6, Benfica (0-3) and Lech (1-3) this season.
Links and trivia
• Rangers Borna Barišić and Standard forward Duje Čop are Croatian international players.
• Rangers''s Romanian midfielder Ianis Hagi spent the first half of 2019/20 with Genk in Belgium before joining Rangers' on loan. The only match he played against Standard' was a 1-0 defeat at Liège'.
• Roofe joined Rangers from Anderlecht' in August 2020'. The Brussels side's last goal was a 1-1 draw with Standard in December 2019'.
• Only one of Rangers manager Steven Gerrard''s 114 international matches for England has been against Belgium' lost his country to a 1-0 friendly win at Wembley on 2 June 2012'.
• Gerrard''s Liverpool side outperformed Standard after extra time in the 2008/09 UEFA Champions League third qualifying round (0-0 a, 1-0 hours).
• Standard's seventh appearance in the UEFA Europa League group stage is a record for the Belgian club, one more than Anderlecht and Club Brugge.